Saturday, 8 March 2014

International Women's Day Inspiration

This international Women's Day, I am inspired to write about a woman who has been an all powerful force in my life.  My mother is one of the most amazing people I know. She taught me to read, to love, to cook and to be present in my relationship with my son. She is not the same person she was 20 years ago- but we all change. That does stop the fact that she is a great parent. She has gone through so much-- divorce, almost dying from pneumonia, her mother's severe illness, my grandpa's heart attack, my brother's accident and traumatic brain injury, my Celiac diagnosis and raising my youngest brother by herself. It is not easy being a caregiver, especially the sole caregiver.  This is most definitely the role she is in now as she helps my brother with his settlement, home-schools my little brother and has to watch out for my grandma who is showing signs of dementia/ Alzheimer's - much like her mother (my great grandmother) did.


I am reminded of a lesson that she taught me when I was young. Words hurt. Even unintentionally, words can do harm. I was watching Stars Wars and commented that looked weird compared to the first movie. Of course, I meant different and wasn't trying to be mean. However, my mom told that he had been in a very bad car accident. Not only is it sad, it shows how saying something can be so hurtful. 

I know it is popular to say sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me. However,  this is not based in fact. Emotional abuse is horrible and stays deep within you. Many people have committed suicide because of this.
This is an important thing to realize and to teach. Words have meanings. Be mindful of the effects your words have on your children. Children learn from these phrases and internalize them. 

1 comment:

  1. We will be judged for every useless word that comes from our mouth. It really is all about putting others before our self. Our hearts and spirit should reach out to help. It is only the Holy Spirit that can do this. On my own human levels , I fail.

    ReplyDelete